Snoqualmie, WA – In what the Puget Sound Energy Emergency Coordination Center called the Sneak Attack Windstorm this week, cities across King County experienced up to 70 mph wind causing power outages for upwards of 350,000 with 61,000 still without power.
Many of us were caught unprepared for a potential multi-day power outage. Snoqualmie is prone to weather events that can result in power outages, road closures, cable and internet disruption, and temporary failure of some cell phone carrier coverage. COVID-19 is another reason to prepare your home for longer durations inside in case of quarantine.
Two steps you can take to help prepare for these weather events are making an emergency kit and having a plan in place.
Here are recommended items to have on-hand in an emergency home kit:
- Water – 1 gallon per person/day (7-10 days).
- Non-perishable food including baby food and pet food (7-10 days).
- Manual can opener.
- Radio (battery-powered or hand-crank) and extra batteries.
- Flashlights and extra batteries.
- Prescriptions and over-the-counter medications (safely stored from children).
- First aid and hygiene items, including baby supplies.
- Emergency phone numbers.
- Safely stored important documents.
Here are steps you can take to prepare for an emergency event or power outage:
- Decide on a family meeting location in the event of limited communications.
- Know how to manually open and close electric garage or other doors.
- When using a generator, use it ONLY outdoors and away from your home to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Know how to safely shut off your natural gas and electricity if needed.
- Have cash on hand in case of power outages for gas pumps and other businesses.
- Keep the refrigerator and freezer closed. Afterwards, throw out unsafe food.
- Be ready to assist neighbors, people with special needs, and the elderly, and pets.
King County Emergency Management: Make It Through
Puget Sound Energy: Be Prepared
Washington Emergency Management Division: Be 2 Weeks Ready
Take Winter by Storm: Checklists in Many Languages
Ready.gov: Build a Kit
Emergency Alerts and Contacts
ALERT King County
PSE Alerts and Advisories 1-888-225-5773, MyPSE app
Waste Management Service Alerts 1-800-592-9995 (M-F 7 a.m. - 7 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.)
Call 911 in case of emergency
# # #
Gail Folkins, City of Snoqualmie
425-888-1555 / 425-275-7950