- Garbage, Recycle & Yard Waste
- Bear-Resistant Containers
Snoqualmie has an active bear population that is encouraged by poor residential garbage practices. It is critical that all Snoqualmie residents take measures to secure garbage.
Order a Bear-Resistant Container
Waste Management offers bear-resistant containers upon request in 35-, 64- and 96-gallon size. The collection fee is $3.62 per month. To order a bear-resistant container, please call Waste Management at 800-592-9995.
Remember, no container is entirely bear-proof. Bear-resistant containers can greatly help in prevention, but should not be considered bear-proof. Please practice the following garbage management tips.
Manage Your Garbage for Prevention of Bear Visits
- Keep garage containers in a garage or shed.
- Please garbage containers curbside for collection the morning of pickup, not the night before.
- Keep smelly items and food scraps in your freezer until the morning of garbage collection.
- Put bird feeders away during the spring, summer, and fall.
Information about how to handle encounters with bears is on the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife.
The Snoqualmie Police Department, in partnership with the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife, are intent on keeping our residents safe. To support best practices for garbage management, per Snoqualmie Municipal Code Chapter 8.12.080, property owners must protect garbage collection containers from wildlife, including but not limited to bears, by keeping them closed and secure when garbage is not being deposited. It is a Class 2 civil infraction to negligently feed wildlife by allowing access to garbage containers. Please follow the code for the safety of our neighborhoods.